Where in the World is Loren Nancarrow?

Turns out I have been unclear. In my attempts to be artistic and profound, I have been vague. I haven’t really told you exactly what’s been going on in my life. The reason I haven’t been in my anchor chair for past few weeks is because I have brain cancer.

I got the diagnosis a couple weeks ago and have since been living the life of someone who has just found out they have brain cancer. My rockin’ neurosurgeon, Dr. Frank Coufal at Scripps Memorial in La Jolla, removed the large mass of it two weeks ago. I hung around ICU for about a week after that before I was released home. Since then, I have been meeting with the people who will make me all better. If you’re into the specifics of these types of things— it’s a grade 3, primary brain tumor called Anaplastic Astrocytoma, an aggressive type of brain cancer in my left frontal lobe. As a side note: that’s the area that controls speech, not optimum when you make your living as a San Diego Anchorman. Thankfully, I only lost my speech for a short while. The doctors tell me I have between 1 and 3 years to live.

So boo-hoo, poor me.

Oh yeah…I forgot to mention…I’m gonna beat this thing. Radiation starts within the next two weeks, then chemo. In addition to that chemical cocktail, I’ll be receiving treatment through the Tibetan Healing Center. I also bought a motorhome. Susie and I intend to see some of those national parks we’ve been enjoying in your Facebook photos. These will be short trips because I also plan to return to work soon…with a badass “Bond villain” scar on the side of my head.

Thank you guys for all of your support. My family has also been amazing and strong—not without times of fear and doubt, but nothing we can’t handle.

I look forward to seeing you back on Fox 5 News soon.

Loren

P.S. Here are photos of my brain before and after the surgery. Pretty cool, huh?

photo 2-3

[Above: Before Surgery/Below: After Surgery]

photo 3-4

Tagged with: , , , , , ,
364 comments on “Where in the World is Loren Nancarrow?
  1. SamL says:

To anyone of the Nancarrow family. Was Loren a drinker of diet sodas?

• Hi Sam,
      No he wasn’t.
      Thanks,
      Susie Nancarrow

• SamL says:

Thank you for the reply. I am sure the question was raised as to how the tumor formed. Loren seemed to be that type of person to want to know why and how he would have one. With the raise in the numbers of certain tumors, there seems to be that connection with a certain ingredient in those drinks. Was there any speculation in Lorens mind as to why he would have formed the tumor, or did he think it was just one of those dice rolls that didn’t go his way?

I lost my father to a similar tumor a few years ago. I hope you have reached the smiling stage with your grief. If not, it will happen soon. Take care Susie.

2. Web site says:

Have you ever considered writing an e-book or guest authoring
    on other blogs? I have a blog based on the same ideas you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information.
    I know my subscribers would value your work. If you are
    even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me
    an e mail.

3. Clark Broekema says:

Your struggle is over. May you have peace and rest.

4. bobsd99 says:

Godspeed, Loren….

5. site says:

For the reason that the admin of this site is working, no
    uncertainty very quickly it will be famous,
    due to its quality contents.

• SamL says:

My condolences go out to all of Lorens family.

We all have lost a great man. He was one of the very few local TV personalities that I actually liked, from a television viewers point of view. I actually can not think of another to say that I’ve liked at the moment. RIP Loren

6. Physical transitions between scenes can be neglected,FRED: It was Richard the Third who said ‘My Kingdom for a horse’, which we will return to. where the ruins of a mysterious civilisation litter the landscape. The desire to make the player feel small within the game environment is totally at odds with what most titles try to do. as it was affectionately known.after they had folded in a 2-0 loss at Everton,” the captain said. Prison is sensitive. won a landmark case against Birmingham city council.
    sac louis vuitton http://www.lesprixamenagementurbain.fr/wp-content/uploads/saclouisvuitton-fr

7. Yeah, I’ve experienced individuals inquire me are you presently okay? you’ve missing alot of zi xiu tang bee pollen http://gw2boss.allmyblog.com/25-your-attempts-and-in-the-long-run-lead-to-you-to-definitely-quit.html.

8. making money says:

Howdy this is kind of of off topic but I was wondering
    if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I
    wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help
    would be greatly appreciated!

9. Kräuterbutter oder Würzmarinaden brauchen Sie allein, wenn Jene den Geschmack
    des Todes überdecken müssen. Bunt auch die
    lecker, oft mit Früchten verziert, gehören welche köstlichen
    Kalorienbomben unter den Getränken zum Standardsortiment auf Partys oder auch in Bars.
    Dezember 2010 – Welche Mitgliedstaaten der Europäischen
    Union hatten für sich in Brüssel mit neue Kennzeichnungsvorschriften für Hugo Sekt geeinigt.

10. According to the Mayo garcinia cambogia reviews Clinic and NIH, beverages that contain electrolytes are composed of water, freshly squeezed juice and
    tea to help garcinia work even better. Renowned naturopath Dr Andrew
    Weil notes that synephrine, a compound found in many herbal diet pill on the market,
    the momentum will build to describe the contents and suggested doses of
    functional foods more thoroughly.

11. sex says:

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d without
    a doubt donate to this outstanding blog! I suppose for
    now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my
    Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will share this website with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

12. ウェディングドレス カタログ

13. internet says:

Hi there, constantly i used to check webpage posts here in the early hours in the daylight, for the reason that i love to
    find out more and more.

14. Peggy Martinez says:

Hi Loren,
    I just thought I’d let you know that I had the same kind of brain tumor that you had. I had 2 brain surgeries at the age of 22 and received radiation and chemotherapy. My husband was told that I would probably have a year or more left to live. I’m 44 years young today and am
    still alive. I think you just need to believe you will get better. I had literally everyone around the world praying for me. God is good and I know that he will take care of you. You are good Hands.
    Sure miss you on the news, God bless you in your journey of recovery.

Peggy Martinez

15. Allen says:

raże były w ciągu
    zanim. Musiał mieć na myśli już tylko, unburdened (Allen) tak aby nieostrożnie nie zbudzić bestii.
    Sen smoków był przysłowiowo lekki. Klął z cicha,
    jak w podniosłej trawie natrafiał coraz to częściej na.

16. Guadalupe says:

zwłoki, na szczęście wyrafinowane, wylizane w drobny mak szorstkim, deriving [Guadalupe] smoczym
    językiem. Było ich coraz więcej, co niektóre miękkie poprzednio, rozpadające się.
    Ociupinę zabrzęczało trącone kolanem, rycerz
    przyw.

17. This design is wicked! You most certainly know how to keep a reader amused.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my
    own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really enjoyed what you
    had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

18. Margarita says:

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thank you, However I am going through issues with your RSS.
    I don’t understand why I can’t join it. Is there anybody having similar RSS problems?
    Anyone that knows the solution can you kindly respond? Thanks!

!

• DrMeatwadPhD says:

Margarita, have you checked the box that notifies you of follow up comments and replies?

I hope you are enjoying what the sunshine has to offer Loren. Drop us a note?

19. Doris Giannini says:

I am so sadden to hear to hear that your not well….I remember seeing you at Carlsbad Costco and Discount Tire in Encinitas, you aqlways would stop and say Hello, such a gentleman you are…I know that with your will and determination you will beat this… You will always be in my prayers and to my favorite Saint, St. Jude for the impossible, he has yet to fail me..
    God Bless you and family
    Doris Giannini

20. lloyd irvin says:

Hi there, everything is going perfectly here and ofcourse every one is sharing facts, that’s in fact fine, keep up writing.

21. Frank says:

Lauren –
    Believe it or not God has Blessed You — He is asking you to be become one of His disciples — Spreading his word of Love. Take That Blessing, go about your everyday life and spread His Word with everyone you come in contact with regardless of their beliefs.
    I too was diagnosed with a brain tumor in July of 2008; God also blessed me with Dr. Coufal, his skillful hands, his smile, his bedside manner(s) and unquestioned caring – to this day my family cannot say enough about him; I too am a survivor. I can’t say enough about the caring and patience I received while in the SICU unit at Scripps La Jolla, they stuck by me no matter how many punches or kicks I threw; I understand I connected some punches even kicking a nurse but they never walked away. In my case without any awareness my son took me to the emergency room at Scripps La Jolla at my wife’s request; my last memory before waking up in the SICU unit was my wife closing the door to the car as I was dropping her off for work, I have no memory of driving home, going to ER nor the surgery itself. God kept me safe not only from hurting myself but also the innocent bystanders as I drove home from Del Mar to Rancho Peñasquitos.
    My heart and my prayers go out not only to you but to your Family because as difficult as it has been on me as you, it is not measurable in comparison to the stress on my wife, my children, my family and friends, whom without their constant love, affection and prayers, I may not be here today… With that I would like to tell them “I Love You”. —They are the reason I’m still here, God has Truly Blessed Me — God wanted me to stick around to spread His Word of Love.
    It’s almost five years since Dr. Coufal removed my tumor, I spend my time helping out around the house as much as I can, I also volunteer in the Scripps La Jolla recovery room once a week approximately 6-8 hours weekly, which brings me tremendous gratification, a feeling of self-worth and a tremendous form of rehabilitation; having to constantly exercise my cognitive skills, giving me the opportunity to give back while also experiencing the pressures on the nursing staff who in spite of many obstacles persevere to care for the surgical patients with a smile on their face and their hearts on their sleeve, they have one goal and only one goal to help each and every patient begin their recovery.
    I could go on and on and would love to share some stories with you, so if you’re inclined I can be reached via my (858) 232-8283 or email: NYSanDiegan@gmail.com
    God Bless You, Frank

22. christine says:

met you once while i was walking my pomeranian. we talked and laughed about how funny they are. you are a wonderful person, fell in love with your beautiful eyes, they sparkle when you speak. miss not seeing you on tv will keep you in my prayers, god bless you and your family

23. Randy says:

Hello Mr. Nancarrow.

I just happen to “google” your name to find out what happened to you, why I haven’t seen you on Fox 5 lately (I “channel surf” past Fox 5 from time to time) when I came across this site. Like many native San Diegans, I go back a long way watching you on television- going back to when I was growing up in the 80′s when you were on KFMB. I wish you a very speedy recovery, and look forward to seeing you again on Fox 5. I like many will be praying for you. God bless you and your family.

24. heather says:

Loren, I’ve watched you since I was a kid too! I remember seeing you in Samurai sushi also! I am so sorry you are having to fight this fight, but you will win!

My tip; Go VEGAN! Cancer cells cannot survive in your body without the proteins that come from eating meat to feed them! They die off.
    Take 3 minutes and watch this; http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-tumors-use-meat-to-grow-xeno-autoantibodies/

As soon as you have 20 minutes, watch this TED presentation on cancer cells and antiangiogenic therapy; http://www.youtube.com/v/3NAIKaGgJq4&hl=en_US&fs=1&

I wish you and your family all the best. Pura vida,
    Heather
    Encinitas, CA

25. Holly says:

Hello,
    We are moving back to San Diego after being in Los Angeles (for 2 years) and traveling in Europe the last 7 months. Trying to live everyday to its fullest :) We are really excited to get back to San Diego and our garden! Always remember you being in our home and wanted to send you our best wishes! You are an inspiration!

26. Kathy Diamond says:

You are a very special person and you have lots of love and prayers coming your way. We live in AZ now but we used to live in Encinitas and always watched you. Prayers and love can work miracles.

27. Skip Shaputnic says:

Wishing you the absolute best in your battle. My thoughts are, and will be with you, all the way. As it has been said: we’re all just one doctor’s visit away from falling through the thin ice. It’s what one does after that initial “break through” that counts and a lot of it has to do with fear.
    Just read a thought-provoking essay by Ezra Bayda of the Zen Center SD that you might find helpful and useful entitiled “Saying Yes to Fear.” Unfortunately there is no URL or link for it so I’ve posted it here (if it’s too long, or you don’t like it, just delete). All the best. You’re in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there! Skip Shaputnic, San Diego
    ——————————————————–
    Saying Yes to Fear
    Ever since I began teaching I’ve regularly returned to the subject of fear. Why? Because fear is what drives much of our behavior, and at the same time it is the one thing that we least want to feel. I remember when I first started my spiritual journey I had the strong expectation that practice would free me from anxiety and fear. I thought that if I studied and meditated, and struggled to change my behaviors, I could replace the undesirable parts of myself with a new, improved version of me—one that was free of anxiety.

So from the very beginning of my practice I decided to confront my fears directly whenever they arose, thereby hoping to amputate them. For example, I’d wear clothes that didn’t look good to confront my fear of disapproval. Or I’d force myself to speak publicly even though I had a strong fear of public humiliation.

After doing these tasks it got increasingly easier, and I actually thought I had overcome my fear. But in truth, it was like cutting off a weed; the fear was temporarily removed, but because I had not gone to the root, it eventually returned. These examples illustrate two of the classic misconceptions about dealing with anxiety and fear. The first is seeing fear as the enemy, a flaw, a weakness, within myself that I have to conquer. The second is believing that if I confront my fears and go against them, they’ll go away permanently.

It’s understandable that we would hold onto these misconceptions, because we have so much aversion to feeling the discomfort of fear, and we’ll do almost anything to avoid it and get rid of it. Yet, it’s also a fact that whenever we don’t address our fear, we make it more solid, and consequently, our life becomes smaller, more limited, more contracted. In a way, every time we give in to fear, we cease to live genuinely.

But there’s an alternative way to live—one that is no longer driven by fear. In fact, the essence of living authentically starts when we learn to relate to our fears in a new way. Instead of seeing fear as our enemy, we can begin to see fear as a wake-up, a signal. This makes each occurrence of fear an opportunity to see exactly where we’re stuck, where we’re holding ourselves back, where we can open to life. What we have to understand is that fear is the protective cocoon of ego telling us to stop. It tells us to not go beyond the outer edge of our cocoon. But the direction of our path is to move directly toward our fears, for only in this way can we go beyond fear’s cocoon. While we may not like it, fear can be our best indicator that we’re going in the right direction. In fact, whatever we can’t say Yes to is the exact direction of our path.

What does it actually mean to say Yes to our fear? It means we’re willing to open to it and embrace it as our path to freedom. Saying Yes doesn’t mean we like it—it simply means we’re willing to feel what it really is. Saying Yes to fear is the opposite of what we usually do, which is to run away from it. Yet, when we stop resisting what is, and over time develop the genuine curiosity to know what’s really going on, it’s possible to begin to see our experience of fear almost as an adventure instead of as a nightmare.

To know what fear really is, whenever it arises we ask the question, “What is this?” We’re not asking why we have it or analyzing it—we’re essentially asking, “What is this moment?” To answer, we simply have to look at two things: the fearful thoughts, and the physical sensations of fear. The practice is to pause, allow ourselves to observe the thoughts racing through the mind, and then feel the physical sensations throughout the body.

When we say Yes to fear, even though we may feel terror, we can begin to see there is no real physical danger. We no longer need to panic, or try to push it away. As we let it in, we’re giving up our fear of fear. We may think we can’t stand to feel it, but the truth is we just don’t want to. Saying Yes to fear is the countermeasure to this resistance; it’s the courage to willingly stay present with it.

A few weeks ago I received a call from my doctor telling me there were signs of a cancerous tumor in my kidney. After my initial shock, I thought of how many times I’ve said that we’re all just one doctor’s visit away from falling through the thin ice. And fall I did—right into the icy water! But fairly quickly I remembered to say Yes to the arising fears, even while my mind tried to weave the dark and grim story of “Me and My Cancer”—with the corresponding closing down in the body.

Saying Yes has allowed me to turn away from the story of doom, and instead turn toward the understanding that regardless of what might happen, this will be my path to living truly authentically. In a way, I actually look forward to being pushed to work with my deepest attachments—to comfort, to control, to my body, to my future. Saying Yes means that my aspiration to live my life authentically is more important than indulging the story of doom and fear. Remarkably, the episode of falling through the thin ice was very short. It isn’t that all the fear is gone; in truth, there is still anxiety about what will happen. But it doesn’t predominate, and I’m able to see it and relate to it as simply a conditioned response to perceived danger.

I mentioned that in my early years in practice I had the expectation that practice could free me of fear altogether. Now, many years later, it’s clear to me that spiritual practice is not so much about being totally free from anxiety and fear as it is about not having to be free from them. There is a subtle but crucial difference between these two understandings. We no longer see ourselves as flawed or weak because we have fear—we’re able to see it as simply our all-too-human conditioning. We begin to realize that even our most unwanted emotions are simply part of the human condition; and moreover, that they don’t have to dominate us. The more deeply we understand what it means to say Yes, the less we feel the need to push away fear when it arises. Instead, we can see it and use it as a catalyst on our path. When we’re willing to experience our life—whatever it is—and not hide in safety and complacency, this is the essence of living most genuinely.

Ezra Bayda
    edited from Living Authentically: Waking Up From Complacency and Fear
    Shambhala, 2014

• Bobbie Cruzen says:

Thank you, Skip, for posting this excerpt. We all have our fears to accept, if possible, and to live with. I am interested in the Zen Center. Could you give me more info on it? Bobbie

• Skip Shaputnic says:

Bobbie, a close friend is involved with the center. He had just sent me this essay and thought to post it here as it might be helpful for Loren. The center’s website http://www.zencentersandiego.org/
        I’m a practicing Tibetan Buddhist, but acknowledge and enjoy the truths of all wisdom traditions.

28. Kathy Jorgensen says:

Hi Loren, I’m Mark Jorgensen’s sister-in-law. My husband was Paul. I’ve watched you for a long time and you are now in my daily thoughts. My amazing husband squeezed life out of every precious moment he could, as I suspect you do. That is comforting to me. We had eight years living with cancer, and the gift was in knowing and finding joy each day. My heart is with you and your family, Loren. If you need or want a desert retreat we have plenty of room. Warm Regards,

29. Hey Loren, just saw this and was wondering if you have tried this: and does it work?? :)

Get Rid of Ants Solution

This is a recipe for getting rid of those pesky ants that come every spring and summer. Mix up the solution, pack cotton balls in a jar cover, put the solution on and they will be gone.

Ingredients:
    1 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons boric acid
    3 cups warm water

Directions:
    1. Mix the sugar and boric acid well.
    2. Add the warm water slowly, mixing all the while so it won’t be too lumpy.
    3. Store in a jar until ready to use.
    4. When ready to use, put cotton into the top of a jar lid to fill it and then saturate the cotton to the top.
    5. Place it in the location where it is needed.
    6. Note: This solution will keep for a long while. A good technique is to drip a drop or two over the edge of the lid to rest on the counter so the ants will find the solution sooner. It sometimes takes a little while for them to find it, but find it they will. When they do, do not disturb them as they drink. They will hang over the edge of the lid and drink for a while and then take it back to the nest killing the colony. Almost overnight they will be gone.

30. Andrew says:

Loren, I’ve been watching you since I was a kid! You love that don’t you :-) You’re doing the right thing, keep up the positive thoughts, Jeanette and I will too. I had a friend battle the same type cancer and he lived many years after the surgery, chemo, etc. We’re behind you all the way!
    Andrew and Jeanette Smith (friends of Robin and Roy)

31. Sam Daw says:

Loren,
    You don’t know me. I have been a TV fan and was even a greater fan when I purchased your Earthworm book years ago. I am a Grade 4 prostate/metastasized guy who is doing great. I’m glad that you are going the Alternate route as well as the traditional route. A good guide for other prostate and cancer patients can be found at http://www.alternativeprostatetreatments.com. It is a worthwhile read. Believe in MIRACLES.
    SamD

32. Lori Bartok says:

Loren – I was so saddened to hear of your situation. I am visualize healing Light in your battle with the Blob. About 100 years ago I worked at UCSD when Frank was a neurosurgery fellow. I remember him as a bright and talented surgeon so rest assured you are in good hands. And, I am 100% on board with what Ted A. states about re: the local BT support group. Everyone needs a little support now and again — so will your wife, please remind her. Speaking from experience, taking care of my late husband (liver cancer) it is the best, hardest, most exhausting and most satisfying job I ever had. Take care, enjoy each day and makes sure to get lots and lots of hugs everyday! And, if you haven’t already, you may wish to check out http://www.caringbridge.org – a fantastic way to share your story.

33. Tracey Manz says:

Loren – I’m so sorry to hear about this “temporary” hand you’ve been dealt. I believe you will beat this with all the prayers we are sending to you and your family. My husband & I moved out of the San Diego area and now live in Colorado. There is a news anchor in Colorado Springs with your last name. We were wondering if you have family in this area?
    God Bless You All. Stay strong!!!
    Tracey & Terry Manz

34. Vicki Lewis says:

When I lived in San Diego, I looked forward to your segment on the news. Last night I heard it annouced that you are ill. My heart and prayers are with you. Now the crazy part, my dog had a brain tumor, and was in a clinical trial at the U of MN. She received anti cancer vaccines, after her surgery. U o f MN is now testing this same vaccine on Humans.

35. Greetings, Loren, from another of your long-time fans! For many years, my family and I have benefitted from your quest to learn about our local environment, including our weather, our ecosystems, our microclimates (did I first hear that word from YOUR lips?), and our gardens, and we’re so grateful that you have so willingly shared what you learned with your fellow San Diegans. We have lived in San Diego County for more than 30 years and have seen a lot of local news teams. To us, you represent the best, Loren. We have always felt that what you do is more than a job for you. It’s a calling and a way of life. You have certainly enriched our lives in this beautiful spot of the world we call home. Thank you!!! The very best to you and your family as you and your medical team go to war against this tumor. We will keep you in our prayers.

36. Marion says:

Hi Loran, I have enjoyed your visits from the TV for years. I am so sorry that you have to go through this but I know that a positive attitude can really change things. I am a breast cancer survivor (luckily stage one and a poster gal for mammos) so I know about radiation. My sis-in-law had a very rare type of cancer that has only a 30% survival rate and she told her doc right off the bat……..”I will be one of the 3!!!!” She is~!~!! It’s been almost 14 years and she is still cancer free. So hang in there my friend and if you are a person of faith then no matter what…….God will see you through this.

37. Marilyn Cummings says:

Loren
    You were a bright light each day when we worked together at Channel 10!
    Learned a lot about the garden, the environment and graciousness. I am still quoting you to people when discussing gardens, etc. A true champion of the environment and saving the planet for the next generations. Not enough of us!
    My very best hopes and wishes for you and your family.
    Marilyn (“Bethesda”)

38. Loren, Suzi and I extend our hearlt felt prayers of strength, courage, and happiness to you as you go through this tough time. Based on your character, it is no surprise you are going to come out of this with a force stronger than a V8 on overdrive!!! Chin up, we love your blogs and posts and news coverage every day, get back to the station soon….

39. Traveled the path about 11 years ago with my handsome husband, Jeff. Enjoy the motorhome! It’s exactly what we did with an 8 year old autistic child and a nanny packed in as well. We had a great time and made wonderful memories. Some pretty funny photos as well. Jeff’s attitude was, “I can feel like (poop) at home, or I can feel like (poop) while enjoying my family and some places I’ve never seen.” He also had a great line while reading up on the chemotherapy that was proposed: “If capsule breaks, call HazMat. Otherwise, just swallow it.” Wagons Ho!

40. Linda toy says:

I believe in the power of prayers and you will be in mine along with your whole family. I too
    believe you will beat this but even so do continue with your plans to do short trips,we all need to do this,stress free few days now and then,our body,mind and spirit just needs to do this for sanity’s sake whether sick or not. Take care and keep on giving us gardening tips.

41. Roberta says:

Have missed seeing you on Fox. Thought you were on vacation. Your delivery of news weather and tips always came off as if I knew you personally. Having faith that you will beat this cancer is the best attitude to have and will help you to beat the odds. Wishing you all the best as you battle this cancer and recover from it…and you will!

42. rfoehr says:

Hi Loren. I am a prostate cancer survivor , curing it with natural remedies and maintaining my body in an alkaline state. I accomplished this with the use of vitamins and supplements, Nanogreens, Monavie, a complete dietary and lifestyle change, chiropractor, acupuncture, exercise, and a lot of prayer. I can honestly say that my life is better now but my religious life is over the top. I don’t know why it took me getting diagnosed with CA to ramp up my religion, but my faith in God is paramount in my life right now. I totally understand the path you’re taking with your CA and admire you for it. Please take a look at this web site if you like, it might give you a new option. Take care and God bless.

Rick Foehr

43. Patty says:

I’m praying for you, Loren! God bless you. San Diego loves you.

44. Clark "TumorBoy" Broekema says:

Loren (formerly host of the Blob),

Thank you so much for your post, honesty and humor. As a recent survivor of brain cancer myself it is refreshing to hear another survivor’s perspective. i too use humor as part of the healing process. I also had a left frontal lobe tumor, oligodendroastrocytoma, it’s a mixed glioma, grade 2′ish. i was never directly given an official prognosis (time to live) and i never really asked either. the reality of living one day at a time is alive and well in our family. i had no idea i was the host of an unwelcomed visitor until i had a major seizure in the middle of the night on March 25, 2011. it was actually a blessing that i had the seizure otherwise i would not have know about the tumor, or ‘El Diablo’ as we often call it.
    an MRI and biopsy confirmed it and i had surgery to remove him on May 2011. i had concurrent radiation therapy and oral chemo (temodar) for about six weeks. i was lucky that i had chromosomal co-deletions of 1p 19q, so temodar is suppose to be a superdrug! we’ll see. i continue to have MRIs every 3 months to keep track of El D and they’ve been all clear. i’ve returned to work after about 6months total off. i still have pretty severe headaches, fatigue and poor concentration. But i’m hanging in there. just started acupuncture this month for the headaches.
    i hope and pray that you keep up your positive outlook and that your treatment goes well

• Ted Abel says:

I’m a 25 yr. survivor of an originally diagnosed benign Oligodendroglioma BT located in my right parietal lobe when I was 38 yrs. young – now 62. My Bt is now a grade-3 anaplastic oligodendroglioma, being treated at UCSD with carboplatin infusions every 4 weeks. I’ve been through all the chemo, radiation and some recent clinical trials. We moved to Poway from Ohio in late 2005 with my wife of 34 yrs. Yes, she’s stayed with me! I’m fortunate to have crossed paths with such a wonderful, loving person. The true love of my life! Maybe not so for her. The best supportive group I can recommend is right here in San Diego. The San Diego Brain Tumor Foundation. http://www.sdbtf.org is a grass-roots all-volunteer organization whose mission is to provide supportive services and programs for patients, their families and caregivers. Proceeds from their fundraisers provide financial help with medical, pharmacy, food, mortgage, meals, massage, support group meetings, medical Dr. transportation, etc needs. A great benefit to those we have in common who otherwise would be in dire circumstances. I cannot recommend them enough! Remember…It’s not what they take away from you that counts – it’s what you do with what you have left. Why worry about yesterday? It’s gone. Why worry about tomorrow? We might not be around. Just concentrate on making today a good day.”

• Thanks for you honesty and insight Clark…one correction you da tumorMAN! Loren

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )