Walking for a friend

fox5sandiego.com

It lurks in the shadows, lying in wait.   Revealing incremental abnormalities so slight and varied, it cruelly beguiles us into complacency.  That is, until its truly insidious nature announces its presence in some hideous way: a seizure, loss of speech, dizziness or that dreaded and undeniable image on the MRI.

That “it” is a brain tumor and I’ve come to loathe them all.

They take up space in the brain, but they brutally break the heart.  The methodical deterioration is so hard to witness, I really don’t know who the disease is harder on, the patient or the caregiver.  To systematically strip people of their abilities or memories one by one is torturous.  I know.

Nearly a year to the day, I’ve seen my buddy at work Loren Nancarrow lose the simple dexterity to button a jacket, to the total loss of the use of his right hand, culminating…

View original post 449 more words

Hannah Jane Nancarrow is a San Diego State University alumni, with a B.A. in journalism and new media. After graduating in 2011, Hannah worked in local T.V. news before her dad was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. Hannah managed and contributed to her dad’s incredibly popular blog (thenancarrowproject.com) and social media platforms before he passed away, after 11 months of bravely battling and blogging. The diagnosis was a catalyst for her own writing and for following each whim and dream. Today, Hannah writes her own blog and has been a keynote speaker at San Diego Women's Week, Relay for Life, and a top fundraiser for cancer-related causes throughout San Diego. Hannah also has a passion for health and fitness, since losing 75 pounds in 2011. She earned her Spinning® and group fitness instructor certifications, and teaches weekly cycle classes in Encinitas, California. Hannah also earned her real estate license and works in the family business, Nancarrow Realty Group, in North County San Diego.

14 comments on “Walking for a friend
  1. Barbara Wilson says:

Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family as you walk thru this part of your life. You were always such a part of our day when we lived in San Diego and now living in Illinois we miss your smile, wit and personality so much. God walks with you every step of the way. We never know why things like this happen but we are praying for you.

2. Jessica Cisneros Evans says:

Hi Kathleen – Jessica (Cisneros) Evans here. I’ve been following Loren’s Blog. I admired him before from a distance and now even admire him more!! It is such an awful journey, I have witnessed it before with a good girlfriend of mine from college. I have signed up for the 10 Miler in February to raise money! Can you join me? I know it would be a small miracle to get Jeff to run…ha…ha… I can probably get Tom to run with me though. Very nice article and well written. Sending you and the family hugs too. ~ Jessica

• Julie Sauer says:

I too had a brain tumor and my life was turned up side down. I cannot say for sure but I feel that I can relate to Loren as he travels thru this fog. God bless you all and may the faith in God and the love of your family and many friends comfort and surround you with comfort and faith.

3. Elly Dotseth says:

I was honored to participate in the Walk. I have enjoyed following Loren Nancarrow’s career since I moved to San Diego in 1980. My mother has an inoperable brain tumor that has changed her in subtle and not so subtle ways over the years. I have known others with brain tumors who struggled mightily to defeat their small, deadly foes, only to pass away. It is a part of life that we must die, no question. But watching someone struggle so, and knowing their family and dear friends are aching as their dearly beloved slowly fades away, tears at my heart!

4. Thank you Kathleen Bade for being who you are and for caring as you do about Loren, his family and brain tumor cancers. He and his family are living in a hell most will never know and getting involved to help find a cure gives many of us a way to help. I was was so sorry and in tears reading about your beloved Barkely…

5. Marcia Kern says:

Just sent in a donation to the national organization. We hope it will get more notice since so many people we know have suffered from this insidious disease.

6. Peacewolf says:

Yes Loren is a great spokesperson for the cause, and he is beloved by all. He could be Mr. San Diego.
    Cancer sucks.

• connie990 says:

I LOVE this idea Peacewolf. Loren should be Mr. San Diego County. He represents all that is good in our communities. Wonder if Board of Supervisors would support that initiative?

7. Cat says:

We need a cure and we need it now. I don’t want one more call or email from a friend or family member about a cancer diagnosis. It is time to end this hideous horrific hell for everyone. I want to see Loren back at work telling us how to grow a tomato or care for a chicken. I am so done with waiting, enough already.

8. Ken Compton says:

Another very powerful and poignant entry on this amazing blog, strength and love for Loren and his beautiful Family & Friends from all of us in San Diego and worldwide. Kathleen Bade is a terrific Friend, Hannah an amazing writer, Suzie an inspirational Wife & Mother. I am honored to witness this outpouring of love and support for our san Diego Icon, Loren Nancarrow. See you on the beach and back on the airwaves soon Loren!

9. Anne says:

Loren I pray for you each day asking for Gods love and mercy.Feel confident he is listening and will answer. Your an example to us all in the strength you have shown.
    Anne

Dear Sweet Susie,

i lift you up today and always in admiration! Love and hugs, Kim

11. Cheryl Pronchick says:

Walked on the beach today and thought about Loren and how he loves it. It’s there, waiting for you when you’re up to it. It’s always waiting for you! Take care!!

12. Dear Nancarrow Family, I wear my 3 inch ZAZZLE Nancarrow Project Button and get so many queries as to how you are doing? Many more than you can possibly know send their Love & Support~

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )