Tumor Humor

Image

I have a new “friend.” For the sake of this blog, its name is the “Blob.” He’s been with me for a while now, but I was just formally introduced to him when his picture appeared on an MRI Sunday night.

I have been getting goofy over the last couple years. Unexplained stuff, I could only explain by getting older: aches, pains, ringing in the ears and other assorted stuff that generally goes along with being over 40, as I am (first element of humor). Recently, it’s gotten worse. Add numb hands, feet and dropping stuff to the list of annoyances.

While shopping at the grocery store Sunday night I ran into a doctor friend, who asked me how I was doing. When I answered, no words came out. He got the picture. That conversation (or lack-thereof) led to a trip to an ICU (where I now have a super-secret pseudonym and password). That’s where I first met the “Blob.”

He’s plum-sized on the left frontal lobe. Poetic justice being what it is, this is the area of my brain that controls speech. So my new job may be as an ASL translator for important people, such as the popular band, Nickelback (second element of humor). But we’ll discuss job opportunities after I get this damn thing out of my head. That happens Thursday. They say it’ll take 5 hours. I work the night shift, so I see this as a nice little nap. When I wake up, we should know if it’s a good, bad or another type of “Blob” and what comes next.

Since we don’t know that stuff, it might be a good time to talk about all the possibilities. We’ve learned my doctor is the best there is. Listed as one of Oprah’s “Miracle Men” and has several 5-star yelp reviews. My buddy, Paul Ecke, stopped by and brought up a complication we hadn’t considered: my political leanings may change and I may wake up yelling “drill baby drill!” or finding wisdom in what Sarah Palin has to say. The point here is we’re entering territory about which I know little. Having my family and friends around me for the past two days has confirmed that my strength will come from humor—not worry.

Please think of me and the “blob” in happy terms, and as Paul also said “I’ll see you on the other side.” I’m pretty sure he meant the other side of the weekend.

Loren

ImageMy friend, Paul Ecke, me and the “Blob”

Tagged with: ,
371 comments on “Tumor Humor
  1. Karin and Gary says:

While my family doesn’t “know” you, we “know” you! Your humor will be one of the things that gets you thru this…along with the love and support of your adoring fans! You are in our positive thoughts.

2. Paul Miller says:

Loren, we don’t know each other personally, but God has a way of holding people like us in the palm of His hands during times like these.

3. kathryn harris says:

Loren, my family and i are sending huge love and positive healing energy to you! I just read about your surgery and your blog, i have lived in North County for years and you are just one of” those amazing people” that make us all feel like we know you!! I firmly believe in the power of collective consciousness, so many loving souls are pulling for you! Your humor is AWESOME! Thank you for sharing, i hope your recovery is speedy and that this journey is not too difficult for you and your family. It sounds like you have a wonderful support system and will come through this with flying colors and abundant humor. I will look at the amazing sunsets we are having and send all good things to you!

4. Jim & Cheryl Skaalen says:

Wishing you the best and you are in our prayers!

5. Joe Gomez says:

Loren all the Best ! May You have a speedy recovery Godspeed .

6. Kr says:

I have especially enjoyed your tv persona for many years…I’m 62, spent my whole life outdoors…last August they took a nasty squamous off my nose, they say I’m good to go…you’ll be the same…you’ll go home and keep loving this SD life. Kr

7. Steven Bush says:

My wife forwarded this to me and I was shocked to hear about it. I had a brain tumor resection in January, 2011, so I know how you are feeling right now. I cannot emphasize this enough, but get in contact with the San Diego Brain Tumor Foundation as soon as you feel able to do so. The support they provide (information, logistics, emotional, dietary, etc.) is absolutely invaluable. I really wish you well in the months and years ahead and hope that you have a speedy recovery and a great pathology report.

8. Diane Zemliak-Irving says:

Hi Loren, So sorry to hear what you are going through. Please stay strong, keep the faith and know… that if God has lead you to it – He will bring you through it! Prayers and love go out to you and yours during this time. May God guide the hands of your doctors. Blessings for a speedy recovery. I will continue to pray for you. Much Love, Diane

9. Irv says:

Wishing you the best Loren.

10. Judy Ito says:

Dear Loren, I have know you and Susie for many year and I cannot tell you how sorry and saddened I am that such an awful thing could happen to such a wonderful person. I care for you and Susie so much and admire what great parents you are, because your children all seem so happy and successful. They certainly take after their parents. It has been a long time since we have spent time together, but I know through Brian that you are just as wonderful now as you were 20 years ago. I only wish we could have kept in touch. You and your family are in my prayers every day and I know you will get through this difficult time. You have so much love and support with your family, friends and everyone you have touched in San Diego. Best wishes and God bless. You will be thought of everyday. Get well soon my friend. Much love, Judy Ito

11. Gloria Daum says:

Dear Loren; for years your cheerful attitude has shined into our home and brightened up the scenery. That wonderful attitude will carry you a long way in your recovery and GOD will carry you the rest of the way. May you be an inspiration to others….just as my 98 yr. old mother has been in her survival of 20+ years to cancer.

12. Patsy Roeder says:

May your Thursday be enveloped in a bubble of prayer and warm wishes for quick recovery!

13. Trudie Hewitt says:

Wishing you the best… Looking forward to ur return to TV

14. Martha says:

I have watched you for years on various stations. So sorry to hear this news-but you are strong and otherwise healthy this is all good. GOD bless you in your journey.

15. Dinah says:

Kick ass and take names Loren! Heal fast!

16. Larry and Corinne Simondes says:

As veterans of the hospital halls, we appreciate your usual sense of humor. We’re thinking about you and glad that you now have reason, other than age, for how you feel. Best wishes.

17. Peggy b says:

Always a fan of yours, hope this is just a minor ‘bump in the road’ or ‘blob in the road’. Speedy recovery look forward to your next adventure…

18. Pat Maggard says:

Dear Loren,
    I wish you all the best. I will put you on my prayer list. Hope you have a quick recovery. Pat

19. Patrick Boyle says:

We’re thinking of you Loren and hoping to see you up and about very soon, Patrick Boyle and Family 🙂

20. Clark B says:

Loren, sending good vibes and mojo your way. Our family is pulling for you and yours. Hang tough!!! See you on the flip side. -Clark (PS – still owe you for best thxgiving ever!)

21. kari powers says:

Dear Loren, You and your family are in iur prayers.
    Kari

22. monte etherton says:

Hey Loren,
    We just heard the news, and are all rooting for your speedy and total recovery. Hope to see you out and about soon!!
    Monte, John, & Heather and the FM gang.

23. Leslie Wilt says:

Best wishes to you, hopes to a quick and full recovery. I grew up in San Diego and watched you on the news. You were welcomed in my home everyday, it feels as though you are part of my family. Thinking of you and sending prayers. ❤

24. Kasey says:

Dear Loren,
    I am so sorry to hear this news. As a cancer survivor, I feel your anxiety and pain. It is a blessing you spoke to your doctor friend. I am sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

25. I hope all goes well. You’d better not change from a tree hugger! You are one of my heroes.

26. Arabella says:

There is so much love and respect for you, Loren, throughout San Diego County and beyond. Just know many people are sending powerful wishes of health and healing. Your reverence for nature has given you great Karma!

27. LuAnn Brown says:

Praying for the very best outcome for you and your family. Modern medicine can be amazing – they have saved my husbands life from cancer getting into his head – Belive! Great to hear your humor – that and an banana split can get you through it:) Hugs from the Browns – loved you for a long time.

28. Meno Reiner says:

Loren, not sure if you remember me. I babysat for your kids when your youngest was a toddler. I live in NorCal and just caught wind of your situation via Facebook. I’m sending you and your family as much love and energy as I can. My youngest child has a chronic disease so I completely relate to the gravity of your experience. Your positivity, love, and enthusiasm is such a gift to everyone who knows you. Much love to you and the family. I have fond memories of all of you!!!

29. debbie roberson says:

Wishing you the best, thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

30. Jenn Wilson says:

Loren,
    You and your family are in our prayers!! You have so much more to do here are such an important part to so many peoples day. I have seen you so many times at Sakura Bana in Encinitas with your wife and with your wife and kids. I have never said hello but am reaching out now to let you know the impact you have made on everyones life here in San Diego. God bless you and your family, YOU WILL HEAL FAST AND FURIOUS!

The Wilsons

31. Stephen Thompson says:

Good luck Mr. Nancarrow. I look forward to your speedy recovery.

32. Beth Linge says:

Hey Loren……as I told Hannah……the Linge family is sending love, strength and positive thoughts. Humor and a good attitude are a huge, huge, huge part of recovery, so obviously you are going to be absolutely great! Thinking of you and wishing you all the best during this ‘bump in the road’.

33. Steve Eichinger says:

Hi Loren,
    Just hoping all goes well and wishing you a quick and great recovery.

34. Allen Kutchuk says:

Loren, See what happens when you keep eating at Taco Bell! But all joking aside, we need you to make a speedy recovery so we can get back to enjoying your usual good humor and commentary. Wishing you strength and wellness. – Allen Kutchuk

35. Ron Rosa says:

Get through it Loren! The Rosa family is praying for you !

36. lavelle snortum says:

loren,
    wishing all the best results for you.
    snortum family

37. mitzvot3 says:

Mike & I am sending positive vibes your way Loren and hoping for a “quickie” recovery!

38. Terri McEldowney says:

Loren, humor is the best medicine and will get you through this. Good thing is you don’t have to worry about shaving your hair and letting it grow back (tumor humor). Get that blob out and lean on your family and friends, that is what they are there for and know you would do the same if it was the other way around. Let Susie know if she ever wants to talk to a tumor wife warrior, I’ve been there done that (Meet you both at the Belly Up this summer). Good thoughts and prayers coming your way, from one of the many North County residents, who has followed you for years, Terri

39. I will be praying for you and thinking of you. I faithfully watched you years ago on the news when we lived in San Diego. You brought comfort and understanding to me as I watched stories unfold with you in my living room. May our Lord bring you comfort now and healing.

40. Marcia Coles says:

Humor is everything. Our prayers and love are with you.

41. Durbin Dawn says:

When you come to the edge, REMEMBER: THERE WILL BE SOMEONE THERE TO CATCH YOU OR YOU WILL BE TAUGHT HOW TO FLY! YOU CAN DO THIS!

42. Shawn Cassidy says:

Loren
    Our prayers are with you. Love your humor and great attitude- as always!
    Wishing you a speedy !
    Warmest Regard,
    The Cassidy Family

43. Loren, I can only say I’ve been in a similar situation more than once and we will definitely see you on the other side (of the weekend). I know you’ll retain that humor, wit, and defiant nature each of us who follows you loves about you. Be well, be strong, and let those around care for you. – Amber

44. Jan Pollard says:

Praying for the Lord to keep you here, happy and healthy – always enjoy you. Wishing your family strength and comfort.
    Jan @ “Pollardfam2u@aol.com”

45. TheHolbrooksFive says:

Thinking of you and hoping it’s a good “blob”. You’ve been a favorite of mine since the days when my husband and lived in San Diego. Fond memories of a time you actually called me about a bug issue we were having! We’ll be awaiting good news.

46. Jane McGill says:

Loren, prayers and thoughts from Paradise–Key West. I am a 3 year surviver of breast cancer and know how scary hearing about weird blobs are. hang in there, still remember you as that great handsome guy from high school.

47. Lori says:

Good luck Loren. I had my noggin drilled almost 8 years ago. Hoping you have the same experience I did. Enjoy the drugs!

48. Sue Subkow says:

Dear Loren, I know you don’t know me, but you are one of my favorite people. I wish you a speedy recovery and send you my warmest wishes. I’ll keep you in my prayers. – Sue Subkow

49. Dan Field says:

Loren My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Dan Field

50. ziontrailerrentals says:

Prayers from us at Kurt Nash Aquascenes, Loren! Praying for good results & complete healing! You have always been so nice to us! Kurt & i have always enjoyed your tid bits about gardening & other things on the SD news, too! Hugs~ Pearl Nash

Join 20,758 other subscribers